Were You Injured in an Accident That Resulted in a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A common serious injury many victims sustain following an accident like a car crash, motorcycle crash, or workplace incident is often related to cerebral damage. Traumatic brain injuries can have life-altering consequences, requiring extensive medical care and rehabilitation. Seeking the expertise of a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer is crucial to ensuring victims receive the compensation they deserve.
Angeleno Accident Lawyers specializes in personal injury cases that result in serious injuries, including brain injuries. Our years of experience have yielded an ongoing 99% success rate in not just winning but winning the maximum recovery.
As one of the top-rated Los Angeles personal injury law firms, we are confident that we can deliver exceptional results for the cases that we take on. If you or a loved one are suffering from a brain injury caused by someone else’s negligence, our brain injury lawyer can help you seek damages–and for zero upfront legal fees. If we do not produce a case win, you pay absolutely nothing.
Our traumatic brain injury attorneys guarantee our work and operate strictly on a contingency fee basis, meaning clients are never responsible for paying upfront legal fees or out-of-pocket costs for representation. Additionally, clients will never be responsible for legal fees if their cases do not result in a win.
To learn more about our contingency fee arrangement or to inquire about the details of your case, please schedule a free consultation. The consultation is confidential and requires no obligation to sign with our law firm.
Why Hire Angeleno Accident Lawyers to Handle Your Brain Injury Case?
It's understandable to have reservations when entrusting someone with a delicate matter like seeking damages for a traumatic brain injury.
Here, we will share why countless clients have chosen to work with our firm in the past.
- Trusted Experience: Our law firm has a proven track record of success, recovering millions in verdicts and settlements for past clients.
- Awards and Recognition: Our law firm has been recognized by distinguished legal associations, including The National Trial Lawyers, the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, and more.
- White-Glove Services: Every client is supported by a team of dedicated legal professionals who will keep them up to date on their cases. We will also assist clients in setting up doctor appointments, scheduling follow-up appointments with medical specialists (chiropractors, pain management, physical therapy, etc.), and dealing with insurance companies.
- Around-the-Clock Support: We provide start-to-finish guidance through case proceedings, making ourselves available 24/7 to address clients’ questions and concerns, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Free Consultation: We offer a free case evaluation to all potential clients with zero obligation to sign up with us. This allows all interested parties to learn more about our services and determine if we are a good fit. Schedule yours today.
How Can Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyers Help?
Like other personal injury cases, brain injury victims are entitled to recover damages due to another party's negligence.
However, when recovering what is owed, traumatic brain injury cases can be more complicated. Working with a brain injury lawyer from Angeleno Accident Lawyers simplifies the process and provides help in the following ways:
- Get brain injury victims treated by the top neurologists and medical specialists in Los Angeles County
- Investigation into the accident to identify the liable party that caused the brain injury
- Hold the at-fault party accountable and responsible for all suffered financial losses
- Financial recovery for current medical bills and future medical costs
- Compensation for lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Compensation for intangible losses like pain and suffering or mental anguish
- Litigation experience and going to trial if a fair settlement is not reached out of court
- Support to help clients regain control of their lives
Working with an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer is the most effective way to recover from an accident–physically, financially, and mentally. Our knowledge and history in resolving claims for brain injuries help clients get the most out of their cases.
Other notable attributes of our brain injury lawyers include the following:
What to Do After a Brain Injury Accident in Los Angeles
Depending on the type of accident that caused a suspected traumatic brain injury, the steps of what to do after may vary.
Generally, the following actions should be taken to preserve health, legal rights, and well-being.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Severe traumatic brain injuries require immediate medical attention but are often neglected. Victims do not realize they have sustained the injury, as no visible evidence exists. Even if symptoms are not evident, it is vital to be evaluated by a doctor.
- Retain copies of all medical records. This includes all treatments, surgeries, and medical bills. These documents confirm if a brain injury was sustained and list all out-of-pocket expenses that can be reimbursed through an insurance claim.
- Report the accident. A police report should be filed if the incident is related to a motor vehicle accident. A workers' compensation claim should be filed if the incident occurred while working. Documenting the accident establishes a record of the event and works as evidence when filing brain injury claims.
- Consult with traumatic brain injury lawyers. An experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer clarifies the complexities of personal injury claims. They also help clients understand their rights and options so they are informed when taking legal action.
- Do not speak to the insurance companies. Without legal help, insurance adjusters often pressure victims into settling for low offers. However, traumatic brain injury attorneys will negotiate on a client's behalf to reach a full and fair settlement.
Undergoing traumatic brain injuries is undoubtedly a trying matter. Just remember to be patient and persistent. Recovery from a brain injury can take time, but you will not be alone during the process, as our caring legal team will be there for support every step of the way.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury, commonly called TBI, is a severe head injury often caused by an aggressive blow or jolt to the head. Anything that penetrates the skull can also cause TBI.
Cerebral damage can cause many symptoms, sometimes resulting in disabilities or death. Some of the most common accidents that cause TBI involve motor vehicle accidents or slip-and-fall accidents.
Auto accidents can also result in other forms of head injury, such as non-traumatic brain injuries and mild traumatic brain injuries. These head injuries can cause symptoms similar to traumatic brain injuries but are less fatal. Regardless, it is always recommended to be examined by a doctor for a brain injury diagnosis.
Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms and Signs
A traumatic brain injury can result in many symptoms. Some of the most common include, but are not limited to, the following:
Change in Sleep Patterns
Loss of Consciousness
Loss of Coordination or Balance
Ringing in the Ears
Sensitivity to Light and/or Sound
Severe Mood Changes
What Are the Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries?
Many events can cause a traumatic brain injury accident.
Essentially, anything that causes significant head trauma can result in a TBI. The most common types include:
- Motor Vehicle Crashes: Motor vehicle-related crashes, such as car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents, are among the leading causes of fatal TBI accidents in people ages 15-44.
- Slip and Falls: For older adults, falls are one of the top causes of head injury and brain damage. This could fall under a premise liability claim if the fall occurred on a business property that was not properly maintained.
- Other Accidents: Other accidents that can cause traumatic brain injuries include workplace injuries, industrial accidents, and machinery accidents.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Any person involved in an accident involving impact or impalement to the skull must seek immediate medical attention to prevent the injury from becoming permanent or fatal.
Only a qualified medical professional can diagnose a traumatic brain injury.
Additionally, someone can sustain various brain injuries and must be identified to be treated appropriately. Some of the most common include the following:
- Skull Fractures:These closed brain injuries are not always visible from the outside, but they can cause swelling, bleeding, or bruising. Neurologists use X-rays or CT scans to diagnose skull fractures.
- Brain Hemorrhage: Also identified as a penetrating brain injury, this causes internal bleeding in the brain and is often caused by a high-force impact on the head. Falls and motorcycle accidents often cause this type of injury.
- Repetitive Brain Impact: Instead of one instance, this is caused by repeated blows to the head and can lead to a condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).
Depending on the type of brain injury, a specialist, like a neurologist, may need to examine the damage to ensure a proper treatment plan. Therefore, even when the severity appears minor, always see a doctor.
How Much Is a Brain Injury Case Worth?
While there may be patterns in settlement amounts for similar cases, it's important to note that no two cases are alike.
Therefore, the awarded settlement amount will differ for every case.
Both parties will calculate the loss of damages, which can range from medical costs to loss of companionship, and justify the compensation amount they came up with.
Severe personal injury accidents can also cause spinal cord injuries and damage to other areas of the body, sometimes altering the victim's livelihood.
It's difficult to place a monetary value on such injuries and losses. Working with a traumatic brain injury attorney not only simplifies this process but the odds of recovering a maximum award significantly increase, as well.
Compensation for Your Brain Injury Claim
Compensation in traumatic brain injury cases will be based on economic losses and non-economic losses.
Ideally, the settlement should reimburse all accumulated financial costs and compensate for the psychological impact the accident had on the victim. Common examples of available compensation may include:
- Accumulated medical bills from ambulance transportation and emergency room visits
- Future medical expenses to maintain recovery, like physical therapy and follow-up appointments
- Long-term disability and short-term disability for work-related accidents
- Lost earnings from time missed from work or lost of future earnings
- Property damage or replacement for vehicles and other belongings
- Reduced quality of life
- Wrongful death to surviving family members
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Brain Injury Accident in California?
The statute of limitations is a deadline. If that deadline is missed, a victim may not be able to recover compensation for traumatic brain injuries, regardless of whether the claim is valid.
For most California personal injury accidents, the statute of limitations is two years. The same applies to most brain injury cases. This means that a claim must be filed within two years of the date of the accident in order to be able to recover compensation for brain injuries.
However, there are exceptions. If the date of discovery occurred at a later time, the timeframe could be extended to one year from the date the injury was discovered, not the date of the accident.
Because the legal aspects of personal injury cases can be so circumstantial, it is strongly recommended to consult with an experienced brain injury attorney as close to the accident date as possible. An attorney will confirm deadline details, preventing victims from missing their filing date window.
Who Is Liable for Your Brain Injury Case?
The party or parties that exhibited negligence will typically be held liable for damages in brain injury cases. In the legal sense, negligence can be defined as reckless actions that endanger another person.
Even if the initial act was perceivably harmless, the defendant can still be found liable for an accident’s outcome, intentional or not. Examples of negligent behavior that can lead to a traumatic brain injury include:
- A driver who runs a red light and hits another driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian
- A property owner who fails to keep the property free of hazards, such as a slippery floor
- A manufacturer who produces a defective product, like a vehicle’s braking system
How Do You Prove Negligence in a Brain Injury Claim?
Negligence can be proven by showcasing that the defendant owed the victim a duty of care, that the defendant breached that duty, that the breach of duty caused the victim’s brain injuries, and that the victim suffered damages as a result.
How Long Does a Brain Injury Case Take to Settle?
There is no definitive answer to how long a brain injury case will take to settle, but some general estimates can be given based on previous cases.
There is no definitive answer to how long a brain injury case will take to settle, but some general estimates can be given based on previous cases.
Generally, the greater the injuries and losses, the longer a brain injury case will take to settle. This matters for two reasons.
- Compensation is calculated based on overall damages. If the victim is still undergoing medical care, the total medical costs have not yet been finalized. This can take months or years depending on the severity of the traumatic brain injury, delaying a settlement amount from being determined.
- Once a demand letter has been submitted to the other party, demanding a specific amount in compensation, that party will likely counteroffer, and negotiations will begin. The time committed to negotiating for the highest settlement will also affect the time it takes to reach a resolution. The more compensation asked for, the more likely the insurance company or the defendant will resist paying it.
Additional factors that directly correlate with a case’s turnaround time may involve disputed liability, conflicting evidence, uncooperative parties, and if the case requires trial. During an evaluation, an attorney can calculate the estimated case value, as well as how long the case is anticipated to last before settling.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Brain Injury Attorney Today
Angeleno Accident Lawyers is committed to helping clients obtain maximum recovery for their brain injuries. We have extensive knowledge of traffic laws in Los Angeles, CA and experience in motor vehicle crashes that caused brain injuries.
Seeking a fair settlement for a brain injury is never easy, especially when the insurance company is expected to pay a large amount of financial losses. When recovering from a severe brain injury, it’s vital to focus on healing, not the legal proceedings. Allow our Los Angeles brain injury attorneys to take on the legal responsibilities.
With a 99% success rate, our law firm knows how to deliver results that meet our clients’ expectations. To learn how we can help you win your case, schedule a free consultation. We will help you obtain the compensation that is owed to you.
Awards & Recognition
Our award-winning law firm has garnered a winning reputation for success.
Read what some of our clients have said about working with our law firm and the results we were able to successfully accomplish.
Get Help From Experienced Brain Injury Attorneys
We recognize the distinctive circumstances around your case. With our brain injuries expert, 99% success rate, and our diligence to defend your rights against insurance companies and negligent drivers, you can claim what's owed to you.